Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Why the trainer has a trainer

The other day I met with a family for the first time.  We were discussing my set up and their desires for their child. While talking, it came up that I use a trainer.  They  were quite surprised by that and expressed concern about my abilities if I use a trainer myself.


I am sharing this because as I've thought about it over the past few days I realize how important a topic it really is.  My learning will never be complete.  I am constantly reading books about teaching about training, horsemanship, styles, theories, breeds, you name it.  I love watching you tube videos and reading blogs.  I like to think I have been doing this long enough so that when I receive new information I am able to decide whether or not it is relevant to me and my work.  There is a lot of info out there and we need to be able to decipher between what is good and what is not so good.  A lot of well meaning folks get caught here because they really don't know the difference.  The internet has such an abundance of information and it is an amazing tool.  However, having someone you know and trust to run things by is always best. To know that you need to ask is honorable and respectable.


In this case I was saying a trainer was working with me and one of my ponies.  He is very young and green.  I am capable of finishing him, however that is not my specialty and I realize that.  I am not afraid or embarrassed to say 'Hey, I'm not the best one suited for this.  Can you help me out?'


I was pleased explain this to my potential clients and they quickly understood and agreed.


By the way, we really connected and they are beginning their horsemanship experience as a family.  I am honored they have chosen me.  Just another example of how we attract the  perfect partners into our lives.






Loretta


the natural horseman
clear communication/visible results

No comments:

Post a Comment