Friday, April 23, 2010

Training Astro

This time last year I had a broken ankle.  Prior to that I had been working on training Astro under saddle with the help of my trainer, Yvonne Lucas.  I didn't ride for several months after the break, and when I did Astro repeatedly tried to shake me off.  This went on for some time and when the vet took a look she found significant back pain.  Astro needed at least 3 months rest.  3 months turned into 5.  It was fall, I was busy, bought Stryker,  Stryker got hurt and then the SNOW came.  Astro's original 3 months off turned into almost a year of not being ridden.


I have a sweet little student who rides Astro on the lead line.  He is perfect in every way.  However, when he is ridden off lead and away from his paddock he has been a little nutso.  I really want some other experienced young riders to ride him, so I've been working on him during this last week. 


I have been doing ground work with him in the front field.  Here's how he has progressed:



  • Day 1  He responded well to what I asked, until I asked him to trot.  Every time a car went by he did his little boy spook.   He kicked the pole he was trotting over every time, and it was on the ground!
  • Day 2  He no longer spooked while trotting, yeah!  I had him keep trotting until a car went by and he did not react.  Then I let him stop and munch grass.  He figured out the plan very quickly!
  • Day 3 He no longer kicked the pole he was trotting over.   I used the same approach.  Trotting over the pole, without stopping, until he no longer kicked it.  Then, time to munch the grass.  I raised the pole and he did kick it a bit, but we worked on that the next day.
  • Day 4 He no longer kicked the raised pole.  Now it looked like a small jump.  He trotted over it, back and forth, without stopping, or kicking it.  What a smart pony!  I had him trot over other small jumps and he was a dream.
  • Day 5 I raised the pole to 15 inches and he trotted over it, and a few times actually jumped it.  A very quiet, calm and relaxed jump.  I asked him to canter on the lead and he did.  We went around to all the jumps and he jumped them lovely.  
I am so pleased and proud of him.  I will continue showing him new things and changing things up for him.  It seems the unexpected is what gets him the most, so training near the road is good for him.  I will ride him again in a few days and expect his behavior under saddle to be improved as well.  Ground work and saddle work go hand in hand.







Loretta the natural horseman clear communication/visible results

No comments:

Post a Comment