Thursday, October 15, 2009

Why I do this part II

I have a new student who came out for her second lesson last week. Her mom rode as a youngster & through part of her teen years, until a bad fall kept her away. Apparently the quiet horse spooked and off she went, breaking both of her seat bones. She never got back on.

She lived around horses and always admired & appreciated their beauty.

Thirty four years have passed since her devastating fall.

After her daughter's lesson was finished the other night, we were talking. I asked her to just sit on Piero. She DID. I was thrilled beyond belief. She stated that she felt very comfortable and safe with me and with Piero. She'd only been with us twice, so that meant a lot to me. But the fact that she got ON him. I was beside myself with joy.

I then asked her if she'd like me to lead her around for a moment. "Yes, I would love that." She said to me. So I led her around the paddock for a time or two. Her smile went on forever. I nearly cried. It was truly a very special moment. I could feel Piero's walk change: as we were going she was remembering how to ride and was actively using her legs.

When she got off we embraced and were thrilled to have shared that very special moment. And guess what? She thinks lessons may be her next step. She is a very brave soul to accomplish that after all these years She put everything on the line with a complete stranger. (Well, almost.) I believe she tapped into her intuition and just knew she'd be safe. We'll be talking about how to use intuition while riding and around horses more next month.

For now, I am so proud of B! And thank you for allowing me the honor of being the one who helped you.

Loretta

the natural horseman
clear communication/visible results

No comments:

Post a Comment